miércoles, 17 de agosto de 2016

Psychosocial development


Just before starting, I want to clarify that I will not talk about any mental disorder, even though, the syllables “Psycho” could let you think about that. And I am saying this because when I first heard the word, I thought in the same. Actually, it is more related with socialize, be part of a group, and others. In order to know more about teens, and get engage with this topic, I go through many online sites to look for all kind of relevant information because I did not have an idea about this topic. I even asked teachers at the university what they understood or knew about psychosocial development. I am sure that you want to know what I found, that is why I will let you know.

I learned that the term psychosocial is related to the process in which adolescents are trying to find their identities. In this stage they use to ask themselves questions like “Who am I”? and “Why I look like this and not like that”?, and of course they are looking for the answer of those questions. And this is completely normal; they just need to be guided to get an answer to all their questions. Adolescents are in an environment, and they, as every human being, need to socialize with others with the same characteristics, but for them this can be a big issue. It is also known that the context of the adolescent will have a big influence in their development socializing with their peers. The different contexts in which they will have the opportunity of socializing are the school, clubs, church, friends, and family. All these places can help the adolescent to find their identity, but sometimes they can face some difficulties like not being taken into account in certain groups or clubs they want to. It is normal that they want to talk, dress, and act just like the group where they are. In this stage they will not follow parents’ rules because they have just started to judge the way they are treat and guide.

What I see in this stage is a great opportunity not to interference in the process, but to look for activities in which students can create relationships among them. As a teacher, I consider I must have the creativity at the time of planning because it is important to take into account all about teenagers. Like in every group, there is a leader that everyone will follow, so if the teacher work with them, it is almost possible that the entire class will follow the instructions during the lesson. I also believe that as a teacher it is important to interact with students to know their strengths and weaknesses, so they can feel that the teacher it is not the “boss” in the grade but a friend who listen to them when they need it. They need to know that for as they are very important, and let them see that together we can have a better and different nation if we learn to have healthy interrelationships.
                                           
                                          References
McLeod, S., (2008).Symply Psychology. Retrieved: from http://www.simplypsychology.org/Erik-Erikson.html


4 comentarios:

  1. hello Karen, thank you so much for sharing all these details. I like when you mentioned "The different contexts in which they will have the opportunity of socializing are the school, clubs, church, friends, and family. All these places can help the adolescent to find their identity, but sometimes they can face some difficulties like not being taken into account in certain groups or clubs" I agree when you mention that sometimes teens do not have the chance to fit in to certain group. Because of that, it is super important to create a friendly environment for our students. If they do not feel comfortable at classes, they will probably drop out learning English. Nice blog by the way!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Definitely, adolescence is a tough stage in life. But at the same time it is a period of opportunities. In the case of psychosocial development, I do like the way in which you describe this developmental area. I agree with you and I would like to emphasize that teens need a group that shares the same characteristics. Moreover, it is important to mention that adolescents struggle a lot with suddenly changes of emotion or mood. I liked the activity of follow the boss. I think it should accept some variations to be appliable in different topics

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. You are absolutely right Carlos, adolescent students are lookink for groups that share the same characteristics, however, we teachers create learning environments where every student is a total stranger to each other, of course we are not going to change the worl with our lessons, but our actions and the way we treat others can be a lifesaver to many of them.

      Eliminar
  3. Hello, Karen I liked the way you explain all your ideas, I really enjoyed reading your blog also,I liked the way you explain this process it is well organized and the techniques that you're going to use as a future teacher are nice and appropriate for this area.

    ResponderEliminar