martes, 13 de septiembre de 2016

First class (Sept. 3rd)



Hello. I am very enthusiastic for writing you about my first practicum experience with teenagers. It is a pleasure for me to have the opportunity to share a good time and learn with a group of 16 students and with an amazing young  lady as my tutor who, since the first time, was gentle and attentive with me. She introduced me with the whole class, and let me give them some words. I explained that I am in my fourth year of languages for teaching, and that nowadays, I am taking the practicum II subject, and that was the reason why I was assigned to be with them  in that classroom. Honestly, I was kind of nervous, and it was not because I considered myself without the necessary skills to be there, but because I wanted to give my best impression. And you know what? I did it! You will see later why I say this when you read the rest of my great first day.


Firstable, the teacher  started with the community building activity. Students were asked to write down 3 different categories for example: food, verbs, and countries. They had to write the largest group of words in each category in 30 secods. The first thing that came to my mind was I would love this activity if I were the student. It was a good idea to use our brains in such activity too wake up all senses. The second activity was even better than the first one because the teacher pasted three different images embossed, so students could tell what they see first. This can be better explained with the following picture.

I would do the same  activity, but I just will change the size and color of each image, and I am pretty sure my students would love it. After this, the teachers showed a video in which students could watch 10 mind illusions (twice) and take notes about the most interesting one. In the same activity they answered questions related with the  video. The questions were simple but clear with necessary information before starting the reading. Then, the teacher presented some new vocabulary, so students could match them with their synonims.
What I like the most is that students are counscious about their own learning. They follow perfectly each instruction, and this makes easier  the delivery of the class. Another activity that made me think that it was a good way for students to read was when they were asked to take  out their phones to take the time before they read. I was wonder how students were actively participating in all the activity. I definately would do this activity with my own students. students had also some picture to interact and give their points of view, and everything was related with the  topic. I just would like students to stand up to share their ideas.
Finally, students were asked to stand up because they were bored, so the teacher considered proper to make a game, so they could laugh and  have fun. I loved when the teacher noticed that students were tired of being sitting (because I could notice it, too). She made a game with physical movements. A teacher needs to stop a class if the students are not concentrated. That was for  me the most meaningful in that class.

2 comentarios:

  1. Hi Karen, sounds amazing how teacher asked students to use their cellphones in order to take the time of reading. Thats a good idea for a reading class because in that way students can improve their reading skills and looking for details about certain reading really fast. Thus, I will have in mind to apply it in my future classes.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hello karen, It is good to see how excited you were about the first day of classes,I hope you have fun in your practicum because you love teaching. I think all the information that you shared it's very interesting becuase I had a great time reading your blog.

    ResponderEliminar